Protection From Abuse (PFA) Attorney in Leawood, Kansas

Relationships can be very stressful. Almost every relationship sees its shares of disagreements and, even, arguments. Sometimes, unfortunately, one party uses threats or physical aggression. This can happen as a one-time loss of temper, or as part of a pattern of intimidation and control. When the situation involves threats or actual violence, Kansas courts can enter special protective orders under either the Protection from Abuse (PFA) or Protection from Stalking (PFS) statutes. These orders can be issued with or without a divorce or paternity case being filed. The orders can remove one party from a shared residence, or require that party to pay for the other side to obtain a new residence. The orders can also restrict or prevent a parent from seeing their children.

Help for Victims

If you are the victim of threats or violence, you are entitled to immediate help from the court system. In Johnson County, Kansas, you can file for a PFA or PFS Order at no charge. You may decide that you want to have an attorney help you in the process, especially if additional divorce or paternity proceedings are likely to happen. The Law Offices of Kenneth M. McRae, LLC, can help you get protective orders for you and your children. These orders can remove the violent party from the residence, or provide funds to obtain a new residence. You may even be able to get orders requiring the other side to pay for your attorney. If you think you may need to get a PFA order to protect you or your children, or if you have considered a PFA in the past but were nervous about appearing in court to face the abusive party, please contact the Law Offices of Kenneth M. McRae, LLC to schedule a free consultation.

You Deserve to Tell Your Side of the Story

Let Me Help

Defense for the Wrongfully Accused

Although PFA and PFS Orders serve an important purpose, it is necessary to make sure they are only used in appropriate cases. If a Protection from Abuse (PFA) or Protection from Stalking (PFS) Order has been issued against you, you need to act quickly to protect your rights. This is especially true if the Order prevents or limits your ability to see your children. Courts may issue initial orders that are too restrictive or which go beyond what the law is intended to cover. The Law Offices of Kenneth M. McRae, LLC has successfully argued to eliminate or reduce these restrictions. Ken has over 20 years of experience representing individuals in Kansas courts, and he will put that experience to work for you. Contact the Law Offices of Kenneth M. McRae, LLC to schedule a free consultation.

Put an Experienced Domestic Abuse Attorney on Your Side

Many people may believe domestic violence only affects the young, or the working class, or the poor, or those with alcohol or other substance abuse problems. But the reality is very different. Domestic violence can also happen to couples in long-term relationships and to highly successful families in Overland Park, Leawood and Prairie Village. If you find yourself in a situation where violence or threats are causing problems for you and your family, please consider contacting the Law Office of Kenneth M. McRae, LLC for a free consultation.